- Are you struggling with making an important decision, determining a new direction, or adjusting to a difficult transition, such as a new job or a new stage of life?
- Would you like to overcome insecurity, anxiety, or negative thinking patterns?
- Are you trying to reach a goal or adopt new habits in your life?
- Or are you a young adult wrestling with your next steps?
- Are you experiencing challenges in your marriage or relationship?
- Have you encountered an issue as a couple that you are struggling to resolve?
- Are you not even sure it is possible for things to be good between you and your spouse again?
- Or are things good in your relationship, but you would like to make them great?
- Are you experiencing challenges in your parenting?
- Are you wanting to better connect with your children or find new ways to motivate them?
- Are you trying to help your kids navigate bad influences, balance the use of electronics and social media, or manage learning disabilities or emotional issues?
- Do you find yourself yelling way more than you would like or not being the parent you want to be?
- Are you struggling with a child that is being disrespectful or defiant or with a young adult that is having difficulty launching?
I am a life and family coach, as well as a writer and speaker on topics relating to personal development, relationships, parenting, marriage, and faith.
I am also the mom of four young adults. And, my husband and I were foster parents for over 20 years, caring for more than 50 foster children in our home over that time and adopting two of our kids as older children through the foster care system.
As a life and family coach, I offer life coaching, marriage and relationship coaching and parent coaching, as well as coaching regarding other family relationships, such as relationships with extended family, parents and siblings.
Often an issue in one area of life can cause challenges in other areas. So, as a life and family coach, I approach coaching in a wholistic way, exploring the full picture and all the contributing factors and relationship dynamics.
I am located in Overland Park, Kansas, in the greater Kansas City area. However, I also work with clients throughout the United States and beyond through online coaching by video call. Additionally, local clients have the choice of meeting with me in person or by video call, whichever works best for them!
What is a life coach?
A life coach partners with clients to help them work through challenges, clarify their goals, and implement new skills, techniques, and habits to reach those goals. A coach offers a non-judgmental space to explore and process your situation, make a game plan, overcome obstacles including unhealthy thinking patterns, and be empowered through accountability and encouragement.
Working with a coach can be a powerful tool to help you—
- make decisions and process difficult situations or transitions
- identify solutions to challenges
- align your values, goals, priorities, and next steps
- receive accountability and encouragement to keep you motivated to follow through
- grow in insight and confidence
In my coaching practice, I offer blended coaching, which means that I offer traditional coaching combined with consulting and mentoring to provide insight, guidance, and new skills through my training and experience.
What is the difference between a coach and a counselor or therapist?
Counselors and therapists are mental health professionals licensed by the state to diagnose and treat mental illness and emotional disorders. Coaches, on the other hand, do not diagnose or treat psychiatric disorders, although they can offer you support and help you discover ways to cope with a specific diagnosis or disorder.
While some overlap exists, counselors tend to focus on healing past emotional trauma, while coaches tend to be more action and future-oriented, focusing on helping you change your mindset, overcome challenges, and make a step-by-step plan to enable you to achieve what you want in the future. Coaching can be used in conjunction with therapy and counseling or can be an alternative to therapy or counseling
“Teresa opened up a whole new world for my husband and me. She is a wonderful listener and helped me see things from a different perspective and celebrate the small victories. I would highly recommend her.”
“Teresa helped me to realize my goals for, not only my career, but also to consider how my career fits in with my family life. She was able to bring a new perspective and helped me to sort through all the many options as I was considering next steps for my career. Teresa is absolutely wonderful to work with, super easy to talk to and brings a comforting atmosphere to planning your goals for your life. I can’t recommend Teresa enough!”
“Teresa was absolutely terrific in coaching my teenage daughter and I through the communication skills to keep our relationship in tact and growing toward her eventual launch into adulthood! Teresa was a great listener and, at the same time, my daughter and I were both able to learn so much from her words of wisdom and put her ideas to practical use in our everday interactions with each other. I can finally see a light at the end after years of struggling with my teen! Thank you, Teresa! My daughter and I actually love spending time together now!”
“Teresa is a God-send! This past year has been very difficult relating to my teenage daughter. Teresa has helped me see a different perspective, take responsibility for what is in my control and to release what is not in my control. She is very knowledgable and is a great resource. I hightly recommend her!”
“One of the best investments and choices I’ve made in my life is acquiring a life coach. Teresa always showed the best interest
for my process and accompained me through important life choices. She always challenged me to think further, ask the right questions,
and commit to my process.”
“Teresa has been such a blessing to my young adult daughter! Just over a year ago, my daughter was struggling so much with anxiety and lack of confidence that she didn’t feel like she would be able to work any job that wasn’t work-from-home. Now, she has a wonderful in-office job and so many awesome friends. In addition, she is jumping into so many new activities that previously would have been completely out of her comfort zone. The availability of Teresa and the guidance she has given to my daughter has truly been life changing!”
“Using a step-by-step game plan, Teresa taught me effective strategies for navigating my relationship with my adult son still living at home and the parenting complications associated with old patterns of relating in my marriage. She didn’t dwell on the past and how things got so messed up but focused on the future and how to put together a plan to move forward and make progress. She has unique insight into using language, words, and tone of voice to bring change in the relationship. She is extremely knowledgable and selflessly shares her many resources gathered from her own experience and her training.”